To encapsulate something in sugar is a long standing human tradition. Using it with walnuts is a cool way to add a sweetness to something that has a tangy and sharp taste, though it may come across as mild. The tannins in walnuts are balanced out nicely by the sweetness in the candying process.
Cayenne Candied Walnuts
- Sauté Pan
- Measuring Cup
- Measuring Spoon
- Wooden Spoon
- Cookie Sheet
- 1 tbsp. Butter
- 1 cup Walnuts chopped
- ¼ cup Sugar
- 1½ tsp. Cayenne
- Heat sauté pan over low heat add Butter
- Once Butter is melted, add Walnuts and toss to coat.
- Add Sugar and Cayenne, toss to coat, raise heat to medium and stir frequently
- The Sugar will begin to melt keep the Walnuts moving so the Sugar won't burn, keep tossing and mixing to ensure the Walnuts are evenly coated with Sugar
- After 5 minutes turn Walnuts out on to a cookie sheet and let cool.
- Serve and eat